Happy Heart Month! Love is in the air!
Here is a poll. Answer out loud, in your head, to your partner, whatever!
- Do you exercise regularly?
- Do you do just cardio?
- Do you like to only do weight training?
- What about HIIT workouts?
Do you know what all of these things have in common? MOVEMENT!
Movement is good for the soul, good for the mind, good for the body, and good for your HEART!
Why? Well, when we regularly and consistently exercise our body composition actually changes, including our hearts.
I’m going to geek out on you for a sec, okay?
1) As your heart gets stronger, it actually pumps more blood more efficiently through your body
2) Your resting heart rate lowers because of this efficiency
3) Blood Pressure can lower to a healthier limit
4) Exercise can have a positive impact on good vs. bad cholesterol (which can contribute to fatty plaques that accumulate in our vessels which leads to heart disease, stroke, etc)
Your heart is a muscle and just like any other muscle, it needs exercise. Physical activity actually increases your energy levels making just everyday activities not seem so strenuous. Not to mention, you just feel better, stronger, and more energetic.
“I’m just so busy Trina, how can I fit this in my life?”
Easy! Make adjustments that fit into your life. If you have a choice to take stairs vs. elevator. Take the stairs! Exercise doesn’t have to be working out for 4 hours every single day. There is so much benefit just performing a 20-30 minute walk 3-4 days a week. As long as your heart rate goes up and you are breathing a little harder, you’re getting the benefits!
“Okay, Trina, that’s great… what are you getting at?”
As a physical therapist, I love movement and love to dissect how movement, or lack thereof, impacts your ability to be able to do these things. Whether it be pain, strain, weakness, incontinence, or some other barrier that keeps you from moving, we are here to get you back to doing those things that you love to do. Give us a call today and let us make the journey to a healthy heart an easier and more active one!